Where is Bonaire located? All you need to know
Bonaire is located in the middle of paradise. Our quaint island, in the far Southern Caribbean, delivers everything you need for the tropical vacation of your dreams. From white beaches and pink flamingos to a great national park and pristine underwater world lush with colorful fish and corals.
Where is Bonaire located? The facts
Bonaire is one of the Leeward island and located in the Caribbean Sea, where no building is higher than the church steeple. Together with Aruba and Curaçao, it forms the group known as the ABC islands. The islands lie less than 100 miles off the north coast of South America near western Venezuela. Bonaire is located below the hurricane belt, making it the ideal destination any time of year. Thanks to our location just north of the equator, we enjoy the advantage of more than 12 hours of light a day.
Now that we’ve got the location out of the way, let’s talk about other interesting facts about our unspoiled island paradise.
- Guest can enjoy a temperate climate. Average yearly temperature is 82°F (27.8°C), water 80°F (26.7°C), rainfall 22 inches, humidity 76%, sunny all year round.
- There is some difference between the dry and rainy seasons. November and December are the wettest months of the year, receiving around 3.5 inches of rain. March through June are the driest months, with less than an inch of rainfall.
- The capital of Bonaire is Kralendijk (pronounced crawl-in-dike, really!)
- Bonaire also includes the uninhabited island of Klein Bonaire (2.3m²/6km²). You can visit Klein Bonaire by water taxi, which can be booked directly via our website.
- Bonaire was part of the Dutch Antilles until October 10, 2010. On that date, Bonaire became a special municipality within the country of the Netherlands. Today, Bonaire is officially one of the three BES islands in the Caribbean, along with St. Eustatius and Saba.
- English is widely spoken on the island, especially among workers in the tourism industry. The same is true of Spanish. Of course, Dutch is spoken pretty much everywhere.
Bonus: Bonaire map
Uncrowded, peaceful and boasting 365 days of sunny skies, Bonaire is famously one of the world’s most outstanding and kid-friendly destinations for water sports, especially diving, snorkeling and windsurfing. However, our island is also a great destination for taking long hikes or bike rides. Make sure to check Explore-Bonaire.com for an interactive map of Bonaire’s car-, hiking and biking trails.
So now you that you know all these fun facts about our pristine island, you will be ready to answer the popular question “where is Bonaire located?”, plus a whole lot more.